Yes, you guessed it, I’m still feeling under-the-weather. Thankfully though, I do feel a lot better. But as things are coming to an end, I’m dealing with the most unpleasant part of it, which is the mucus and the coughing in an attempt to rid myself of it. It’s not as bad as it could be because I have a few tips and tricks to really help rid myself of mucus faster.
I hope if you are sick too, that these help you feel better as well:
- Never swallow mucus. Seriously! I know it’s hard not to, but it will make it so much easier toward the end of your cold if you don’t do this. It all has to come out eventually, so it’s your choice, but it’s better to get rid of it through your nose than horrible coughing.
- Always keep tissues on hand for nose blowing and spitting out mucus.
- Try humming. Singers do this so that they can bring back their singing voice. When you humm, vibrations are strong enough to break up mucus.
- Drink lots of water. Not only will this help flush the sickness out of your system and keep you hydrated, but it will also help flush mucus out of our throat.
- Gargle with hot salt water. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder!) to 2 cups of hot water and gargle with all of it. You want to gargle as deeply as possible. Do this several times a day. This is by far my favorite method and it works really well to break up mucus and help soothe a sore throat.
- Drink hot lemon and honey tea. You can make your own lemon and honey tea with just 3 ingredients. Stir about 4 teaspoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of honey into 2 cups of hot water. The lemon will help dissolve some of the mucus and the honey will coat and soothe your throat.
- Take a hot shower. This will help to loosen up mucus membranes and make coughs more productive. Also try blowing your nose while in the shower. Take advantage of those loose membranes and use your hot shower to get rid of some mucus, as well as getting clean and feeling more refreshed.
Get well soon everyone!